An even simpler, yet more capable app for composing on iPad.
Version 4 takes greater advantage of the iPad touchscreen, and brings more new features than ever before.
Read more about the release in one of the sections below:
Download on the App Store
New in User Interface
- Over a dozen new gestures and interface shortcuts to vastly improve workflow
- Contextual menus to edit note & bar properties; commonly used commands are now right at your fingertips
- Customizable QWERTY keyboard shortcuts for score navigation, cursor manipulation, and editing commands
- Streamlined & ergonomic interface that reduces the need to switch between editing modes & menus
New in Part Management Features
- Multi-bar rests and system breaks
- Freely repositionable staves and beams
- Add sections or rehearsal marks to navigate
or annotate the score
- Reduce your score to view any range or combination of parts for viewing & editing
- Edit multiple measure properties simultaneously; rebar notes, fill rests automatically, and much more
- Dismiss all toolbars to view the score only; perfect for reading or navigating large projects
More New Features and Improvements
In addition, SP4 brings over 1,000 bugfixes and other refinements to the previous version
- Over a dozen new gestures and interface shortcuts to improve your editing workflow
- Streamlined and ergonomic interface that often eliminates the need to switch between editing modes and menus
- Graphical menu design across entire app for more intuitive access to available commands
- Accessibility with VoiceOver support for basic navigation & editing features
- Much faster rendering performance when scrolling
- Complete undo and redo support for every edit to the score, including adding or deleting of new tracks or layers
- Input cursor can now be used to add or remove score expressions & symbols in Select mode by toggling any corresponding icon from the expressions toolbar
- Edit & reposition title / composer by tapping the text directly
Note Entry & Editing
- The Note Adjust Menu allows you to perform the following common or otherwise cumbersome editing tasks on a note selection:
- - Modify note value, pitch, and almost all of the note properties available from the Notes Toolbar
- - Apply or delete a beam on a consecutive sequence of notes
- - Toggle enharmonic and note/rest
- - Context-sensitive tie function can also be used to apply adjacent slur
New Gestures & Shortcuts
- Tap or drag rectangle to select any score expression, control point or reposition-able symbol
- No longer necessary to switch between menus to reposition score symbols; tap directly or drag a rectangle over it to select.
- Control points shown to reposition or edit staves and beams, as well as to edit textboxes including title/composer & annotations
- Invisible control points for editing measures & beams reduce visual clutter and can be made active & visible by tapping once on its location
- On any expandable button in a toolbar, you can now tap quickly to deselect the icon, instead of having to tap twice; perform a longer tap to expand the available options
- Quickly create beams on any sequential note selection within the same measure by tapping the new Create Beam option from the menu items that appear above it
- A single tap on any note switches automatically to its corresponding voice
- Enable/Disable MIDI input from the instruments expandable button instead of having to navigate to a menu. This is the button on the very right of the Navigation Bar.
- Improvements to note input cursor include the ability to:
- - Reposition by dragging directly
- - Tap once inside to show copy/paste menu
- - In Select mode, moving the cursor to a new note or chord will generate a live preview over audio
- Standard navigation & editing gestures for Accessibility with VoiceOver, which allows visually impaired users to:
- - Drag finger over the screen to locate adjustable controls, measures, and other score elements, with reliable VoiceOver labeling & hints throughout the entire interface
- - Swipe to increment or decrement any adjustable interface element, such as to set volume, set tempo, move the input cursor, and navigate the playback cursor
- - Double-tap to activate a control that has an action.
- - Double-tap and drag a control that can be repositioned, including the input cursor and playback cursor
- - Use 3-finger swipe to scroll the page in all 4 directions
- - Use 1 finger-horizontal swipe to perform a quick-nav toggle
Score Symbols & Expressions
- Dynamics, expressions, & articulations have better adjustability, interaction, and stability of layout with respect to the entire score.
- New annotation tools with customizable font and color:
- - More precise touch interaction while dragging expression / control point.
- - Page wraparound support for range modifiers including crescendos, octave signs, and extensible elements in general
- - Applicable expressions snap to notes and measures on multiple keypoints for better stability when score layout changes
- - Apply an expression to multiple notes by selecting them and activating the deired symbol.
Import & Export
- Improvements to MIDI import & export:
- - Key & Time changes are recognized
- - Percussion tracks & notes are converted properly, according to the sample used for playback
- Improvements to MusicXML import & export, including:
- - Importing of part information, including groups & instruments
- - Importing of notes on separate voices/layers
- - Accidentals on export
- - Importing/Exporting of tuplets & grace notes
- Convenient option to include SP project file with exported PDF, MIDI, or XML documents
- With any new or existing score, layout remains preserved regardless of aspect ratio..
Measures and Parts
- With Continuous Scroll mode turned on, the left panel in the Score area provides easy access to:
- - Mute/Solo and Volume controls
- - Part rename options
- - Just swipe right inside the panel to access the above shortcuts
- Edit multiple bar properties simultaneously using a Copy/Paste menu selection, then selecting the new Edit Measures option
- Automatically padded rests & formation of grand staff tracks into single part.
- Time signature changes automatically rebar notes
- Grand staff becomes automatically recognized and configured as a single part whenever appropriate
- Fill incomplete measures with rests using the Measure Dialog
- Score aspect ratio stays the same regardless of portrait or landscape orientation. Page layout is preserved regardless of viewing mode or screen orientation.
- Zoom scale auto-adjusts in Continuous Scroll to fit the screen optimally for any number of parts
- Tempo auto-synchronization: allows the virtual performance to always keep in time with a real metronome instead of falling behind
- Tempo now remains constant with respect to Time Signature changes present in the score.
- Change the location of the playback cursor during performance
- Simile repeats marks are now performed
Version 4: Complete Features Bundle
New features are free to try in October, or within 30 days of installation. Enable them for only $4.99 starting November.
All other new features not listed below, and improvements to existing features, are provided at no cost.
Notation and Editing Features
- Fully customizable tuplet rhythms
- Customizable note colors
- Customizable font size and color for score annotations
- Modifiable guitar tunings
- Create over-full measures
- Transform the rhythm of a note selection by applying diminution, augmentation, subdivision, repetition, and more
- New notations:
- - Multi-measure rests
- - Specify and play back multiple repeat signs
- - Adjustable tremolo / tremolando notation
- - Swing tempo indications
- - Flexible line indications for glissando, arpeggio
symbols, and annotating
- - Bend, tremolo, and chord diagram notations
- - Courtesy accidentals
- - Vertically adjustable beams
- - Subdivide primary beams
Part Management & Playback
- View & hide any combination of parts from using the Instruments Menu
- Attach Section Labels or Rehearsal Marks to any bar
- Adjust the position of any staff vertically
- Add system breaks for more flexible score layout
- Other advanced score layout options
- Send MIDI-Out for any selected part
- Customize percussion MIDI map as a project setting
- Customizable metronome beat subdivisions
- Backup & store projects seamlessly on iCloud Drive
- Tag & categorize projects with virtual folders
- View the full score by dismissing all toolbars
- Over 40 QWERTY keyboard commands & shortcuts that allow you to:
- - Toggle playback
- - Switch through menus and input modes
- - Transpose a note selection box or a cursor selection in Select Mode
- - Switch note values and modify all other fundamental note properties
- Updating to Version 4 on the App Store is free, and the update includes 1000+ reliability improvements. Improvements & maintenance updates for existing features are provided free of charge to all of our customers.
- The Complete Features Bundle is free to try for 30 days; starting November, the bundle will be purchaseable for $4.99 or less, through a single In-App Purchase. Bundle will also enable new features introduced later this year.
- Educational institutions that bought, or choose to buy licenses of Symphony Pro through the Volume Purchase Program will automatically be able to utilize features at no cost, starting November 2015.
- Individuals using Symphony Pro with Accessibility/VoiceOver have complete features enabled automatically, at no cost.