Sign up to preview Symphony Pro 5 by entering your name and email at the bottom of this page. If selected on on or before December 31, you'll receive an install link to download the prerelease via TestFlight. Don't miss this opportunity to:
Make use of the new features weeks beforehand (more details below)
Contribute to a reliable release by sending feature suggestions and bug reports
Help craft the editor-of-choice for every serious composer with an iPad – sooner rather than later!
* What's New in Symphony Pro 5?
Below is a partial overview of what to expect by the preview release. We plan to offer all of the following improvements as part of a free update, and available out-of-the-box to all customers ;)
Editing enhancements for Apple Pencil (see next question)
Navigation shortcut gestures for instant commands like undo/redo
Significantly improved instrument playback quality / playback of score expressions
Seamless shortcuts for managing instruments & parts
Score expression & annotation improvements
Context-aware interface to expedite percussion notation in the most elegant way possible
Seamless improvements for tablature / customizable numbers of strings
Professional quality engraving by adhering to common standards & texts / vector-based rendering for exported scores
Improved MusicXML / MIDI interoperability with notation as well as DAW software
iPhone Universal app enabled for all Symphony Pro licenses – meaning you'll soon be able to install SP on your iPhone to view & edit compositions
* Will there be handwriting recognition with Apple Pencil?
Handwriting recognition won’t be offered in the initial 5.0 release, as more time is necessary before it's a truly reliable feature. We're aiming for mid-2017 to provide handwriting with Apple Pencil as an integral part of our application.
5.0 still takes significant advantage of the Pencil through supporting its precise input hardware. This will allow for easier interaction when adjusting score elements, notes, and most other symbols.
The initial release will also recognize several intuitive gestures with the stylus, which save tremendous time with inputting & editing notes or score expressions.
* Is there a complete feature overview?
A complete overview will be included with the invitation email a few days after you register
* When will the public preview be available?
After signing up, you'll be notified by the end of this year if selected to test, and we'll try our best to invite most applicants.
* How will applicants be selected to test?
Applicants are randomly selected; your chance of being invited depends on the limited email slots determined for this event.
* How will I be notified that I'm invited to test?
Look for an invitation email with instructions on how to register on or before December 31, if chosen to test.
* If invited, how will I be able to install the beta?
Installation requires an iPad or iPhone running iOS 9 or later, and with TestFlight installed. TestFlight is available for free download on the App Store.
To download the Symphony Pro 5 preview on your iPad after it's available, first open the invitation link from iTunes that will be sent to your email, then open TestFlight from the Home Screen. If a prerelease update is available, there should be an Install button next to SP Beta, and under the "Testing" heading.
* When will the official release of Symphony Pro 5 become available?
The updated ETA for official release is Q1 2017.
* Limitations and disclaimers
- If you already have Symphony Pro on your device, installing the beta application will replace the existing installation, but will keep all of your documents in-tact.
- Note you can revert back to the latest Version 4 release by reinstalling SP from the App Store. Doing so will also preserve your documents and data, though we make no guarantee that Version 5 projects will be openable from an earlier installation.
- You don’t need to own a copy of Symphony Pro to register, nor is feedback required. However, the public preview will only be active for several weeks, up until the official launch.
- For complete instructions on how to install, test, and update beta software on iOS TestFlight, please refer to the Testflight FAQ.
Clicking Subscribe will only register to the upcoming preview. If you instead want to be notified when SP 5 is officially launched, please subscribe to newsletter announcements here.